Sunday, January 18, 2015

Moving from Ireland to Denmark

You probably know that I'm 50% Irish and 50% Danish. Im born and raised in Northern Ireland, and some years ago my parents decided to move to DK. When my parents told my big sister, little brother and me, I was excited, excited to try to live with my Danish family... but that was it. It meant that I had to say goodbye to my home, my friends, my primary school, my family, cadburys, (chocolate brand haha), ASDA, and lots more. It meant that I was saying goodbye to everything I knew and trusted... I was going to start a new "life" - basically. Reality didn't hit when my parents told me, until the day I had to say goodbye to my bestest friend, Rachel. We'd been best friends since we were 3, (still are), we saw each other everyday, I felt as if I was home, when I was at her house, her two younger brothers were like my two little extra brothers, and her parents as if they were my two extra parents, and we could tell each other everything, as if we were each others living diaries. I can remember our mummy's had to pull us apart, when she and her mum came to our house to say goodbye before I left. That's when I knew, that I was actually leaving, what I knew and called "home".
Anyways, I comforted myself by thinking that I could just visit every now and then - but no. Long story short, I got a depression one year after we moved to DK, and I had it for four years. Everything, literally everything, went downhill. I would've given ANYTHING to move back, but obviously that never happened. I switched schools multiple times, and I was never satisfied with the class I was in. I just wanted to be in my old primary class, because they had also been my friends since I was 3 years old and they knew me. To them I wasn't some Irish girl, with a weird accent. I was their friend. Suddenly, I couldn't come knocking on my neighbours door asking if they wanted to come out and play, I couldn't go to The-Corner-Shop and buy a curlywurly, or run around down town and having to stop up every other 10 minutes because I knew the people I passed, I wasn't picked up by the school bus in the morning, I had to take an ordinary bus to school, and I didn't know the driver of the bus, actually the driver was different everyday and the passengers sure as hell weren't people from my school, I couldn't just sit beside anyone in the bus, everybody sat alone in these busses, and tried to avoid sitting next to others... Suddenly I didn't know the people who lived on my street, or the family next door, I didn't know the people in my class, I couldn't even speak the language they spoke fluently, I couldn't buy curlywurlys , hell they didn't even sell cadburys chocolate!! And what?? What was kroner?? I knew pounds and pennys... and what about Boots? Where did Boots go? Mummy told me instead of boots, DK has "Matas"... And there was no ASDA with a cafĂ© top floor, selling the best mashed spuds for a pound or two, there was "Super Best" and "Kvickly" - oh and they don't even know what "spuds" is!!! Where did the rain go to? It only rained a couple of times a week when it was Autumn, but back home it rained every single day, I was used to the rain. The Corner Shop was gone and I was left with "kiosks". M&S, New Look, KFC, Argos, Primark, Peacocks, Poundland, Debenhams, Claires... ALL GONE!!! I never really realised that all of that was there until someday it wasn't. And it still isn't here. I miss my family, friends, cadburys chocolate... everything haha, more and more everyday... though I guess DK isn't that bad after all... I mean, university is FREE!!!! :) 

1 comment:

  1. Hey :)! You probably don't remember me, but I went to your primary school back in Ireland haha! Love your blog, i've started one now too :)!

    ReplyDelete

Write a comment, follow my blog on circles and do what yo want to do. ♥